Some states, including California, require vehicles to undergo a smog test to become registered. While there are various smog test stations to choose from, other test and repair stations, including Complete Car Care Encinitas, are Star CertifiedSmog Check Test Centers or Star Test and Repair Centers.
What's the Difference Between a Regular Smog Center and a Star Smog Center?
The difference between the two types of stations is that the stations have been certified by the California State Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) under specific criteria.
- Smog test centers can perform the test and give you a certification.
- Smog repair stations can only repair your vehicle so that you can pass the test.
- Smog test and repair stations can do both testing and repairing.
- STAR stations, regardless of test only or both test and repair, are closely watched and advised by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs. These stations must undergo an extra set of certifications and perform more detailed testing. STAR Test and Repair Centers are the only smog centers that can inspect, repair, and certify your vehicle.
Your registration form will inform you if smog certification by a STAR station is required. Typically, these vehicles will require a STAR certified smog check:
- Gross polluters (vehicles with very high emission readings) and high emitter profile vehicles (vehicle types as having high risks of failing the smog inspection
- A random sample of all vehicles registered in California
Regardless of your vehicle's status, it's best to get certified by a STAR station if you are unsure. If you're uncertain whether your automobile passes the test, you can always get a pre-test inspection done. This type of test is unofficial and provides you with more insight into what needs to be done to pass the test the first time around.
If your vehicle requires an emissions test or smog check, please call or visit Complete Car Care Encinitas in Encinitas, CA!